Detoxing from Mold and Mycotoxins
How To Measure Your Body's
How To Detox
Detox Support Supplements
Why Is Mold Harmful?
Mold (masses of vegetative filaments produced by certain fungi) can grow on many different surfaces, can be present in our homes and food, and can take on a variety of appearances and hide easily. It is often present where we live and work without our knowledge.
Many types of mold produce mycotoxins, which are the dangerous element of mold and can be harmful to your health. Different types of mold produce different types of mycotoxins. Any amount of mold exposure, especially long-term exposure, can be dangerous and should be avoided as much as possible.
In What Ways Can You Be Exposed to Mycotoxins?
Mycotoxin exposure can occur through inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact.
Because mycotoxins are microscopic, they are easily absorbed by our body into our circulatory system. They often have the most direct impact on gut and immune health, but can impact all systems in the body and cause widespread inflammation and oxidative damage.
Can You Measure Your Body's Mold Levels?
Reliable tests are available that can evaluate your body's mold levels. Doctors often assess mycotoxin levels through urine tests, and blood testing is also sometimes used. If you have been exposed to mold and are experiencing potential symptoms, you may want to get a mycotoxin test and begin detoxing the mold from your body.
How Does Contact with Mold Affect the Body?
The gut microbiome and immune system are usually impacted the most quickly and severely by exposure to mycotoxins. Mycotoxins decrease the healthy bacteria in the gut microbiome and increase harmful gut pathogens, causing dysbiosis (microbiome imbalance) and increasing inflammation throughout the body.
Mycotoxin or other biotoxin exposure can also cause a condition called Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS), characterized by widespread inflammation in the body that can harm many of the body's organs and systems. Mold exposure can also cause chronic pain and neurological symptoms such as mood disturbances and dementia.
Actions to Take to Heal from Mold Exposure
- First, eliminate any further exposure to mold and mycotoxins. Detoxing will not be enough if you continue to be exposed to these harmful substances. Control the moisture levels in your home, remove any known sources of mold, and if you're able to, consider getting your home professionally checked for mold growth.
▶︎ View EPA's Mold House Tour
- Eliminate biofilms from the sinuses and gut. Biofilms are defensive membranes that are produced by collectives of microbes. These membranes work to protect the microbes from the body's immune system and help them resist antibiotics. Biofilms can develop in the sinuses and gut to protect these microbes and make it difficult to fully eliminate them from the body.
One of the most effective ways you can help heal your gut from the effects of mycotoxins and remove biofilms is through colon cleansing with a 3-step enema series. This protocol consists of three back-to-back enemas that support the health of the colon, help balance the healthy bacteria in your microbiome, and help detoxify your body. The gut is one of the primary targets of mycotoxins, so supporting your colon while detoxifying is crucial.
- Follow the Ten Days to Optimal Health diet to support your immune system and gut health and help reduce systemic inflammation. It may also be beneficial to avoid foods that can contain mold and yeast, such as cheese and alcoholic beverages.
- Consider taking supplements, specifically glutathione and binding agents (see below), to support and unblock detoxification pathways and to bind and draw out the toxins to ensure they leave the body.
Supplements for Mold and Mycotoxin Detox Support
Researched Nutritionals Mycotoxin Detox Protocol:
- Tri-Fortify Liposomal Glutathione — Glutathione helps to open up detox pathways and is one of the most important components of detoxification in the body. It is also an important antioxidant. Low glutathione levels can lead to a variety of health problems.
- MycoPul — This five-ingredient binder supplement, free of metals and other impurities, targets the major mycotoxins and provides increased binding capacity to reduce reabsorption. Effective removal of mycotoxins is essential for healing from mold exposure. Mycotoxin binders attract and bind to toxins, moving them through the gastrointestinal tract and out of the body.
- Transfer Factor Multi-Immune — This supplement stimulates NK cell and lymphocyte activity to support immune response.
- Transfer Factor Enviro — This supplement helps to activate the immune system against mycotoxins.
Ortho N-Acetyl Cysteine — This product helps maintain your body's glutathione levels, supports cellular antioxidant activity, and helps detox from environmental pollutants and mold.
Mold is unfortunately very common and easily hides in our environment. Exposure to harmful mycotoxins can have serious health consequences, especially on the gut microbiome and immune system, and over time can cause your overall health to deteriorate. Luckily there are many effective ways to detox mold from your body and support your body in healing from mold exposure through colon cleansing, diet, and supplements.
DISCLAIMER: This material is presented for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or prescribing from a licensed healthcare professional. We make no claim or guarantee for cure or relief of any specific symptom, medical condition, or disease when using any of the products or protocols referenced here. Consult with a licensed healthcare professional before altering or discontinuing any current medications, treatment, or care, or starting any diet, exercise, cleansing, or supplementation program, or if you have or suspect you might have a health condition that requires medical attention.
By Kristina Amelong, CCT, CNC
I-ACT-Certified Colon Hydrotherapist
Certified Nutritional Consultant